Tuesday 3 February 2015

The Art Process

Quite often I'll use a smaller work as a study to a larger piece to ensure the technique or colours will work.

In the first study I needed to make sure that I placed the colours on the in the right order before committing myself to a large canvas. In the second I replaced the white with ivory to see the effect. There wasn't much in it but in the end I settled on Ivory for the larger work as it was just a little warmer.


The technique looks random and and easy to achieve, however these take quite a bit of planning to create a balance across the whole piece built up over several layers, and you need a lot of space in your studio to work around the horizontal canvas. but it's a lot of fun and highly expressive too.



Painted in black ivory and grey tones the completed piece is based on a continuing theme representing the constant battle against being placed in a convenient box by society. You're a teacher, a banker, you earn this much and buy those things. We are all constantly being categorised for convenience by big data and others when in actual fact we are all individual and unique and should celebrate this.