Monday 1 April 2013

Understanding Drip Art





The renowned artist Jackson Pollock was the creator of this style, and I can't help but feel his influence when using this technique.

When creating these pieces I try to look passively and receive what the painting has to offer as it develops and not to bring a subject matter or preconceived idea of what I'm trying to achieve. It can look haphazard and random, however to achieve a balance across the whole painting with many layers is actually quite difficult. Manipulating the paint in the direction you wish the painting to go is actually quite challenging, sometimes the painting wins, more often than not it's a draw. A combination of where the painting leads and where I managed to influence it.

These paintings don't not come from the easel. I prefer to lay the canvas horizontal, on the floor, this way I can walk around it, working from all four sides. This enables me to create a balanced work being able to apply paint from all directions. I use hardened brushes, pouring techniques and syringes to apply the paint with a fluidity which wouldn't be possible using a conventional upright surface and tools. Each layer is also applied at varying stages of drying to further add complexity to the process.

I hope you enjoy them, they're great fun to create and can bring a huge impact to a room.