Wednesday 5 October 2011

Painting the Great Wave



An image I've always wanted to create onto canvas is "The Great Wave of Kanangawa" by the Japanese artist Hokusai. Originally created as a woodblock print sometime between 1830 & 1833, part of his series Thirty six views of Mount Fuji, it's one of the most recognised images in Japanese art across the world. An image I've always admired and having got into it's details whilst painting it I can appreciate the brilliance of Hokusai in his original work carved into a wooden block.



Working on a canvas 52x36 inches with a small paint brush, trying to remain true to the original design, it will take some time to complete but it should look pretty stunning when done. When finished I'll publish an image here, and of course on my website, in the meantime..... back to the wave.